I left myself some unfinished business from last week – plotting out the musical scene-by-scene. I mentioned previously that I made it about halfway through, and after about a half hour more, I am (hopefully) over 3/4 done. Keep in mind, this is an insanely rough draft. It would take a miracle if after months of writing scenes, composing music, analyzing relationships, and working through key changes I end up with the same progression of scenes with which I began. In fact, I already revised some of the first scenes I outlined.
There was one specific thing I did that really woke up my senses: I took note of my notes. Previously, I marked in my scene outline when a song was appropriate, but after taking count, I already have 9 songs in the first 3/4 of the musical. Though that’s not inherently bad, that’s a lot of composing. I will definitely be looking at cutting back the number of songs, or relying more on reprises.
I don’t know if I should publish my scene outline in advance or keep it private until the finished product. Though I want to show you all how I’m progressing (especially when it comes to things like actually writing out scenes/composing songs), I want to both keep the element of surprise and avoid any potential plagiarism from the public. Let me know what you think in a comment below or a direct message on my Contact page.
That’s about it; stay tuned!